[PVE-User] Proxmox VE 7.1-2 Installation question - SOLVED, I think...

Patrick Buryk pburyk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 02:50:14 CET 2022

As a follow-up to my recent posts regarding Network interfaces not coming
UP after a successful Proxmox 7.1-2 Installation - I think I've resolved
the problem.
Many previous (related) posts here (and in the Proxmox Release Notes and
Bug Reports)
spoke about a known bug in the Intel e1000e driver and suggested some
work-arounds,
implemented as commands issued at the Linux Command level. Before I tried
these I thought
I might visit the Dell Support site just to see if there was any news there
about this.
What I found (to my surprise!) was a recent BIOS update (A26) for the M6800
class machine.
This was put out since I updated all my drivers and BIOS for Windows 10
Pro, last year.
The description of the A26 BIOS update listed a fix to the e1000e LAN
interface.
I reattached my Win10Pro  system disk and upgraded the BIOS to A26.
After removing Win10Pro, re-inserting my Proxmox system SSD and booting up
ther corresponding indicator lights on my switch illuminated. I was then
able to ping my
network gateway from the Proxmox host and login to the Proxmox host via
remote browser.
A brief "tour" of the various parts of the Proxmox GUI suggest that my
network issue has
been resolved and I can move forward with intended undertakings.

Thanks, once again, for all of the suggestions, both from the mailing-list
posts and via
private email. I will end in reiterating (2) basic rules of computer
administration:
1) RTFM
2) Keep drivers and BIOS levels - up to date!!!

VBR,
Patrick Buryk