[PVE-User] 2 host cluster, direct link: best configuration?

Marco Gaiarin gaio at lilliput.linux.it
Fri Feb 18 18:55:18 CET 2022

We have to setup a little 2 node cluster, with symmetrical nodes, using
replication.

For that, we have added a 10G interface, and setup a direct link between the
two server.

But how is better to setup the link? Some ideas:

1) another network, different from LAN

  pro: simple
  cons: replica happen only on cluster/corosync interface? So i have to
    setup corosync on direct link addresses?

2) ip override; eg LAN interfaces are 10.37.5.21/21 and 10.37.5.22/21;
 direct link interfaces are 10.37.5.21/32 and 10.37.5.22/32, and an
 explicitly route to  other host

 pro: if direct link go down, we can simple tear down interfaces
 cons: no auto, interfaces have to tear down manually

3) setup a bridge around LAN and direct link cable, setup STP and leave the
 switches all the work.

 This config suggested, more or less, by:
	https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Full_Mesh_Network_for_Ceph_Server

Thanks.

--
  Io chiedo quando sara` che l'uomo potra` imparare
  a vivere senza ammazzare e il vento si posera`	(F. Guccini)