[PVE-User] New Disk on one node of Cluster.

Aaron Lauterer a.lauterer at proxmox.com
Wed Feb 16 10:03:11 CET 2022

You will need to use device classes. They are either set automatically depending on the type (HDD, SSD, NVME) or you can define your own. If you create the OSDs via the Proxmox VE GUI, you can just type in a new device class name instead of selecting one of the predefined ones.

You then need to create rules that target the different device classes, as the default replicated rule will use all OSDs. Then assign all your pools the appropriate rule for the device class that they should use.

The Ceph docs have more details in how to change the device class of an existing OSD and how to create those rules: https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/operations/crush-map/#device-classes

Cheers,
Aaron