[PVE-User] Installing proxmox such that it boots from internal sdcard (dell r720)? .. root on sas drives

Stoiko Ivanov s.ivanov at proxmox.com
Wed Feb 16 09:36:34 CET 2022

Hello,

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:23:45 -0600
Wolf Noble <wolf at wolfspyre.com> wrote:

> Howdy all!
>
> is there a way to install proxmox such that the boot filesystem and bootloader is installed on the dual mirrored sd cards that are available on the dell 12g servers?
Has been a while since I dealt with those machines - and cannot verify
this here - but if you cannot boot from the disks in the internal bays you
could try the following:
* start the PVE installer in debug mode
* let the installer run (exit the first 2 debug shells, and install
  regularly)
* after the installation is done you get another debug shell
* there re-import the zfs rpool, bind mount what's necessary and chroot
  into the new system - see [0] for steps.
* inside format and init the sd-cards (if you want you can also create
  partitions on them - assuming the sd-card presents itself to the OS as
  /dev/sdX run:
** proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sdX
** proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sdX
* exit the chroot, umount, export rpool
* try booting from the sd-card

but this is just from memory - have not tried this and am not sure if it
will work smoothly.

Good luck,
stoiko

[0]