[PVE-User] Installing proxmox such that it boots from internal sdcard (dell r720)? .. root on sas drives

Arjen leesteken at protonmail.ch
Mon Feb 14 08:08:47 CET 2022

On Sunday, February 13th, 2022 at 23:23, Wolf Noble <wolf at wolfspyre.com> wrote:

> Howdy all!
>
> is there a way to install proxmox such that the boot filesystem and bootloader is installed on the dual mirrored sd cards that are available on the dell 12g servers?
>
> I don't want to have the entirety of the root filesystem on them (waaaaaaay too slow) but having /boot and the initial bootloader on an isolated media would make it much easier to have a zfs root.... as well as having the root fs on fast media that might not be a supportable boot option.
>
> I'n not seeing an obvious way to configure this, but that doesn't mean it's not there hiding (probably in plain sight and I'm blind)

You can add ESP partitions on the SD-cards with the proxmox-boot-tool[0] after installation, and remove the other ESP partitions.
I think that is enough for Proxmox to (start to) boot and load ZFS drivers, but I don't think it includes /boot.

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot_proxmox_boot_tool

best regards, Arjen