[PVE-User] Thin LVM showing more used space than expected

Óscar de Arriba oscar at dearriba.es
Wed Dec 28 12:19:31 CET 2022

Hi Alain,

Thanks for taking time to answer my message.
I think Proxmox UI is showing the % of wearout consumed. I just checked SMART using smartctl and it is showing 2.86 TB witten of a maximum of 180 TBW of this model (6%).

I think those numbers are too much for the usage of this drive, but the number of power on hours match (52 days). I think the TBW are elevated because we had an instance with swap actived and that could generate s lot of IO (that's no longer the case from a couple of weeks ago).

However, the strange behaviour of showing much more space used than the sum of VM disks + snapshots continue, and I'm really worried that the performance issue after copying some data can come from that situation. Also, the unit is showing now a 96% of space used, which worries me about decreased performance because of fragmentation issues.

Oscar