[PVE-User] export ceph volume

Alwin Antreich alwin at antreich.com
Sun Sep 12 11:43:00 CEST 2021

Hi,

September 10, 2021 9:36 PM, "ic" <lists at benappy.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Is there an easy (if any at all) way to export a ceph volume through NFS?

No, there isn't.

> I’m migrating virtual machines from a non-ceph cluster to a ceph one and for many reasons, going
> through a 3rd party external storage is not an option so I’m looking for a way to mount the ceph
> from the new cluster on the old one, move the VM disks there and then stop them on the old cluster
> and start them on the new one (I’m copying the .conf files by hand).

There are a couple of ways to migrate to RBD-based storage with different downtime.
1) connect the hypervisor directly to Ceph and move the VM's disk(s),
if the hypervisor supports it

2) create a CephFS and use nfs-ganesha to export the FS,
if not feasable then use a VM as NFS server

3) use qemu-img to convert the VM's disk(s) directly to RBD,
if no direct connection possible, then using wdt, nc, ssh over the network

I hope these give you some idea on how to proceed.

Cheers,
Alwin