[PVE-User] Ceph 16 upgrade warning also valid for proxmox users?

Harald Leithner leithner at itronic.at
Thu Nov 18 19:02:44 CET 2021

Hi,

the ceph release packages site has a big red warning not to upgrade from
earlier versions to Pacific.

So when I haven't updated to Pacific yet, should I wait or is it safe to
upgrade for what ever reason?

https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/pacific/

--
DATE: 01 NOV 2021.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO CEPH PACIFIC FROM AN OLDER VERSION.

A recently-discovered bug (https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/53062) can
cause data corruption. This bug occurs during OMAP format conversion for
clusters that are updated to Pacific. New clusters are not affected by
this bug.

The trigger for this bug is BlueStore’s repair/quick-fix functionality.
This bug can be triggered in two known ways:

manually via the ceph-bluestore-tool, or

automatically, by OSD if bluestore_fsck_quick_fix_on_mount is set to true.

The fix for this bug is expected to be available in Ceph v16.2.7.

DO NOT set bluestore_quick_fix_on_mount to true. If it is currently set
to true in your configuration, immediately set it to false.

DO NOT run ceph-bluestore-tool’s repair/quick-fix commands.
--

thanks

Harald

--
ITronic

Harald Leithner
Wiedner Hauptstraße 120/5.1, 1050 Wien, Austria
Tel: +43-1-545 0 604
Mobil: +43-699-123 78 4 78
Mail: leithner at itronic.at | itronic.at