[PVE-User] ip address on both bond0 and vmbr0

Ronny Aasen ronny+pve-user at aasen.cx
Tue Mar 23 13:02:52 CET 2021

On 23.03.2021 11:42, mj wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First some info:
> 10.0.0.0/24 is ceph storage
> 192.168.143.0/24 is our LAN
>
> I am trying to make this /etc/networking/interfaces work in in pve:
>
>> auto enp2s0f0
>> iface enp2s0f0 inet manual
>> #mlag1
>>
>> auto enp2s0f1
>> iface enp2s0f1 inet manual
>> #mlag2
>>
>> iface enp0s25 inet manual
>> #management
>>
>> auto bond0
>> iface bond0 inet static
>>         address 10.0.0.10/24
>>         bond-slaves enp2s0f0 enp2s0f1
>>         bond-miimon 100
>>         bond-mode active-backup
>>         bond-primary enp2s0f0
>>
>> auto vmbr0
>> iface vmbr0 inet static
>>         address 192.168.143.10/24
>>         gateway 192.168.143.1
>>         bridge-ports bond0
>>         bridge-stp off
>>         bridge-fd 0
>
> We will connect pve servers to two mlagged arista 40G switches. The
> 10.0.0.0/24 ceph network will remain local on the two aristas, and
> 192.168.143.0/24 will be routed to our core switch.
>
> The VM IPs are in the LAN 192.168.143.0/24 range, and obviously don't
> require access to 10.0.0.0/24
>
> We connect the VMs to vmbr0 and assign VLANs to them by configuring a
> VLAN tag in the proxmox VM config. This works. :-)
>
> However, assigning the IP address to bond0 does NOT work. The IP address
> is ignored. bond0 works, but is IP-less. Adding the IP address manually
> after boot works, using:
>> ip addr add 10.0.0.10/24 dev bond0
>
> Why is this ip address not assigned to bond0 at boot time?
>
> Is it not possible to have an IP on both bond0 and vmbr0, when bond0 is
> also used as a bridge port?

No you can not use the ip on the bond and the bridge; while you can run
2 ip's on bridge, that is a bit ugly.

the way we do it is running vlan's on the bond, into a vlan aware bridge

auto ens6f0
iface ens6f0 inet manual
         mtu 9700

auto ens6f1
iface ens6f1 inet manual
         mtu 9700

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
         slaves ens6f0 ens6f1
         bond_miimon 100
         bond_mode 1
         bond_xmit_hash_policy layer3+4
         mtu 9700

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
         bridge_ports bond0
         bridge_stp off
         bridge_maxage 0
         bridge_ageing 0
         bridge_maxwait 0
         bridge_fd 0
         bridge_vlan_aware yes
         mtu 9700
         up echo 1 >
/sys/devices/virtual/net/vmbr0/bridge/multicast_querier
         up echo 0 >
/sys/devices/virtual/net/vmbr0/bridge/multicast_snooping

then  define an vlan interface per subnet

auto vmbr0.10
iface vmbr0.10 inet6 static
         address  2001:db8:2323::11
         netmask 64
         gateway 2001:bd8:2323::1
         mtu 1500

vm's attach to vmbr0 + the tag for the vlan they should be in.

good luck