[PVE-User] ip address on both bond0 and vmbr0

Bastian Sebode b.sebode at linet-services.de
Tue Mar 23 12:49:37 CET 2021

Hi mj,

can't you separate your Ceph traffic in a VLAN?

bond0 (slaves enp2...)
vmbr0 (slave bond0) 192.168.143.10/24
bond0.10 10.0.0.10/24

And off course your switches also need to be aware of VLAN 10 on the MLAG.

Never used MLAG, but with LACP this works for me.

Regards
Bastian

Am 23.03.2021 um 11:42 schrieb mj:
> Hi all,
>
> First some info:
> 10.0.0.0/24 is ceph storage
> 192.168.143.0/24 is our LAN
>
> I am trying to make this /etc/networking/interfaces work in in pve:
>
>> auto enp2s0f0
>> iface enp2s0f0 inet manual
>> #mlag1
>>
>> auto enp2s0f1
>> iface enp2s0f1 inet manual
>> #mlag2
>>
>> iface enp0s25 inet manual
>> #management
>>
>> auto bond0
>> iface bond0 inet static
>>         address 10.0.0.10/24
>>         bond-slaves enp2s0f0 enp2s0f1
>>         bond-miimon 100
>>         bond-mode active-backup
>>         bond-primary enp2s0f0
>>
>> auto vmbr0
>> iface vmbr0 inet static
>>         address 192.168.143.10/24
>>         gateway 192.168.143.1
>>         bridge-ports bond0
>>         bridge-stp off
>>         bridge-fd 0
>
> We will connect pve servers to two mlagged arista 40G switches. The
> 10.0.0.0/24 ceph network will remain local on the two aristas, and
> 192.168.143.0/24 will be routed to our core switch.
>
> The VM IPs are in the LAN 192.168.143.0/24 range, and obviously don't
> require access to 10.0.0.0/24
>
> We connect the VMs to vmbr0 and assign VLANs to them by configuring a
> VLAN tag in the proxmox VM config. This works. :-)
>
> However, assigning the IP address to bond0 does NOT work. The IP
> address is ignored. bond0 works, but is IP-less. Adding the IP address
> manually after boot works, using:
>> ip addr add 10.0.0.10/24 dev bond0
>
> Why is this ip address not assigned to bond0 at boot time?
>
> Is it not possible to have an IP on both bond0 and vmbr0, when bond0
> is also used as a bridge port?
>
> The setup is based (freely) on the pve docs:
> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_linux_bond
>
> Thanks!
>
> MJ

Bastian Sebode
Fachinformatiker Systemintegration

LINET Services GmbH | Cyriaksring 10a | 38118 Braunschweig
Tel. 0531-180508-0 | Fax 0531-180508-29 | http://www.linet-services.de

LINET in den sozialen Netzwerken:
www.twitter.com/linetservices | www.facebook.com/linetservices
Wissenswertes aus der IT-Welt: www.linet-services.de/blog/

Geschäftsführung: Timo Springmann, Mirko Savic und Moritz Bunkus
HR B 9170 Amtsgericht Braunschweig

USt-IdNr. DE 259 526 516