[PVE-User] planning CEPH HW

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Mon Mar 1 09:28:33 CET 2021

Hi Nada,

El 28/2/21 a las 12:07, nada escribió:
> hi, we are beginners in CEPH
> and we have 3 old servers in PROXMOX cluster and just CTs are there
> my college wants to migrate some VMs from VMWARE cluster to PROXMOX
> but these VMs are really 'hungry' they need a lot of space for data...
> we don't want to invest more money in old SAN HP and we want to deploy
> CEPH
>
> so our idea is to buy
>   2x robust servers for CEPH with HDD
>   3x light servers for Ceph monitors with SSD
I suggest you just buy 3 or 4 robust servers, and colocate mons and
osds. Keep in mind replica-3 is recommended.

> and deploy CEPH
>   1st period approx 50-100 TB
>   2nd period 300 TB
>
> we already have prepared
>   FC 10Gbps backbone
>   Eth 1Gbps backbone

You don't need FC (if that's fiber channel at least).

> we have studied examples of some configurations
> (Dell, 45Drives,...)
> we prefer to build up CEPH cluster separated from PROXMOX cluster
> and link them together to have scalable open source system and avoid
> vendor-locking
> BUT we do NOT have experience with CEPH
> so please,
> can somebody send us example of HW configuration suitable for our idea
> ???
What performance do you need for each VM (IOPS)?

Regards

--

      EnekoLacunza

Director Técnico | Zuzendari teknikoa

Binovo IT Human Project

	943 569 206 <tel:943 569 206>

	elacunza at binovo.es <mailto:elacunza at binovo.es>

	binovo.es <//binovo.es>

	Astigarragako Bidea, 2 - 2 izda. Oficina 10-11, 20180 Oiartzun

youtube <https://www.youtube.com/user/CANALBINOVO/>
	linkedin <https://www.linkedin.com/company/37269706/>