[PVE-User] Proxmox VE 7.0 (beta) released!

Stoiko Ivanov s.ivanov at proxmox.com
Tue Jun 29 15:31:11 CEST 2021

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 14:04:05 +0200
Mark Schouten <mark at tuxis.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Op 29-06-2021 om 12:31 schreef Thomas Lamprecht:
> >> I do not completely understand why that fixes it though.  Commenting out MACAddressPolicy=persistent helps, but why?
> >>

> > Because duplicate MAC addresses are not ideal, to say the least?
>
> That I understand. :)
>
> But, the cluster interface works when bridge_vlan_aware is off,
> regardless of the MacAddressPolicy setting.

We managed to find a reproducer - my current guess is that it might have
something to do with intel NIC drivers or some changes in ifupdown2 (or
udev, or in their interaction ;) - Sadly if tcpdump fixes the issues, it
makes debugging quite hard :)

In any case - as can also be seen in the 2 reports you sent:
with vlan-aware bridges the promisc flag of the ethernet interface (the
bridge-port) is set to 0, when vlan-aware is not present it is set to 1.
This explains the symptoms you're seeing, and why running tcpdump fixes it

FWIW: I think simply starting a guest would have fixed the issue as well
(when a second bridge_port gets added the kernel sets the promisc flag on
the port correctly)

As Wolfgang wrote - we'll look into it and will hopefully come up with a
sensible solution.

Thanks for the beta-test and the report!