[PVE-User] Proxmox VE 7.0 (beta) released!

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Jun 29 11:46:58 CEST 2021

Hi,

On 29.06.21 10:05, Mark Schouten wrote:
> Op 24-06-2021 om 15:16 schreef Martin Maurer:
>> We are pleased to announce the first beta release of Proxmox Virtual Environment 7.0! The 7.x family is based on the great Debian 11 "Bullseye" and comes with a 5.11 kernel, QEMU 6.0, LXC 4.0, OpenZFS 2.0.4.
>
> I just upgraded a node in our demo cluster and all seemed fine. Except for non-working cluster network. I was unable to ping the node through the cluster interface, pvecm saw no other nodes and ceph was broken.
>
> However, if I ran tcpdump, ping started working, but not the rest.
>
> Interesting situation, which I 'fixed' by disabling vlan-aware-bridge for that interface. After the reboot, everything works (AFAICS).
>
> If Proxmox wants to debug this, feel free to reach out to me, I can grant you access to this node so you can check it out.

Do you have some FW rules regarding MAC-Addresses or the like?
As the MAC-Address selection changed in Proxmox VE 7 due to new default
n systemd's network link policy, as listed in our known issues[0].

It's now not the one of the first port anymore, but derived from interface
name and `/etc/machine-id`, which in combination should be unique but also
persistent.

But, for some ISO releases (4.0 to 5.3) the machine-id for the installed host
was not always re-generated, which could result in duplication of a MAC for
identical named interfaces on two hosts.
We try to actively catch and fix that on upgrade by checking if the ID is one
of the known static ones (it's just a handful of possible IDs) on upgrade.

But if one cloned an machine (e.g., a colleague run into this in a demo
virtualized PVE test clusters they cloned from a template) that ID will be
duplicated and thus make problems.
That could be easily checked by comparing the `/etc/machine-id` content and
be fixed by re-generation[1].

Just noting that for completness sake, to avoid more investigation if it's
just that.

- Thomas

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#7.0-beta-known-issues
[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/MachineId#machine_id_and_cloned_systems.2C_generating_a_new_machine_id