[PVE-User] ZFS configurations, performance and optimization...

Yanni M. gianni.milo22 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 23:35:02 CEST 2021

In my opinion, you are not doing something wrong but likely are the
limitations of relatively small raidz1 array (3 disks) and the parity
calculation overhead which both are leading to lower performance compared
to that of the mirrored array. Wherever possible, choose multiple mirrored
vdev configuration (raid10) rather than raidz, as VMs in general tend to be
more interested in IOPS rather than bandwidth (streaming) performance.
If you decide to keep raidz1, then try adding more disks onto it. If you
use zvols for the VMs, try increasing volblocksize from 8k which is the
default, to 16k or 32k.
Personally, I'd add one more disk into the mix and go for 2 vdev mirrored
setup (raid10) and keep the zfs defaults.