[PVE-User] ZFS configurations, performance and optimization...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Mon Jul 26 11:37:46 CEST 2021

Consider two rather equal servers, both with equal disks (2TB
rotational drives); one server have a ZFS mirror (two disk), the other
have a ZFS RAIDZ1, with 3 disks.

Both server are unload, we are moving data in, via single
Gigabit connection.

Moving data into the ZFS mirror lead to a impressive 120 Mbyte/s
writing speed, with little or no iodelay (1-2 %).

Moving data into ZRAID1 lead to an 60-70 Mbyte/s writing speed, no
more, and a decent iodelay on the system (8-10 %).

Both seems to me configured equally (eg, for example, no compression).

I've read:

	https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#sysadmin_zfs_raid_considerations

but really i'm got a bit lost... there's somewhere a more clear
explanation of the 'effect', and i hope some parameters to tackle with?

Thanks.

PS: it is not a problem 'per se', the RAIDZ1 pool could be 'slow', but
    i've the doubt to have done somthing wrong...