[PVE-User] Migrating VMs from PVE 5 to PVE 6, no ZFS

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Mon Jul 26 15:49:23 CEST 2021

Mandi! Eneko Lacunza via pve-user
  In chel di` si favelave...

> Sure, you can use an intermediate NFS server for storage.
> 1. Migrate VM disk(s) to NFS
> 2. Shutdown VM + copy VM.conf to new node (make sure you give the same nave
> to the NFS storage in old and new PVEs)
> 3. Start VM + migrate to ZFS

I've just done that, and works as expected. Downtime: few minutes,
to move the XXX.conf file.

Plus, as a bonus:

a) volumes get created on NFS as QCOW file, so you need the thin space
  available on NFS server, not the thick one.

b) because volumes are files, if you also need to rename the VM, you
  can rename the volumes easily.