[PVE-User] Migrating VMs from PVE 5 to PVE 6, no ZFS

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Mon Jul 26 15:12:05 CEST 2021

Hi Marco,

El 19/7/21 a las 12:39, Marco Gaiarin escribió:
> Mandi! Arjen via pve-user
>    In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> Why not backup the VMs, copy the backups (or used shared storage), restore from backup on new host?
>> ZSTD will reduce the temporary space and network transfer sizes.
> Sure this will be the simpler way.
>

> But i need to minimize downtime, so using a 'common shared storage'
> permit me to move disks with VM runing... at the cost of doing the
> migration three times.

Sure, you can use an intermediate NFS server for storage.
1. Migrate VM disk(s) to NFS
2. Shutdown VM + copy VM.conf to new node (make sure you give the same
nave to the NFS storage in old and new PVEs)
3. Start VM + migrate to ZFS

Cheers

Eneko Lacunza
Zuzendari teknikoa | Director técnico
Binovo IT Human Project

Tel. +34 943 569 206 | https://www.binovo.es
Astigarragako Bidea, 2 - 2º izda. Oficina 10-11, 20180 Oiartzun

https://www.youtube.com/user/CANALBINOVO
https://www.linkedin.com/company/37269706/