[PVE-User] Single BPS for multiple PVE lead to namespace conflict

Konold, Martin martin.konold at konsec.com
Sat Jan 9 22:11:16 CET 2021

Hi there,

I am pretty new to Proxmox and deeply impressed by the quality of many
aspects of its design and implementation.

In my testing I observed that in case I have multiple PVE Clusters and
perform backups to a single datastore on a single PBS I experience a
lack of namespaces.

Why a single datastore on the PBS for multiple PVE Clusters?

For reasons of efficiency and avoidance of fragmentation I would like to
use a single RAIDZ2 as a target. The problem now arises that both PVE
clusters see the same "vm/100/{dateTime}".

What about prefixing the backups with the Cluster-Name e.g.
"pve1/vm/100{dateTime}"?

Is there something I overlooked sofar?

Regards
ppa. Martin Konold