[PVE-User] After update Ceph monitor shows wrong version in UI and is down and out of quorum

Frank Thommen f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 5 20:01:31 CET 2021

On 04.01.21 12:44, Frank Thommen wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> one of our three PVE hypervisors in the cluster crashed (it was fenced
> successfully) and rebooted automatically.  I took the chance to do a
> complete dist-upgrade and rebooted again.
>
> The PVE Ceph dashboard now reports, that
>
>    * the monitor on the host is down (out of quorum), and
>    * "A newer version was installed but old version still running,
> please restart"
>
> The Ceph UI reports monitor version 14.2.11 while in fact 14.2.16 is
> installed. The hypervisor has been rebooted twice since the upgrade, so
> it should be basically impossible that the old version is still running.
>
> `systemctl restart ceph.target` and restarting the monitor through the
> PVE Ceph UI didn't help. The hypervisor is running PVE 6.3-3 (the other
> two are running 6.3-2 with monitor 14.2.15)
>
> What to do in this situation?
>
> I am happy with either UI or commandline instructions, but I have no
> Ceph experience besides setting up it up following the PVE instructions.
>
> Any help or hint is appreciated.
> Cheers, Frank

In an attempt to fix the issue I destroyed the monitor through the UI
and recreated it.  Unfortunately it can still not be started.  A popup
tells me that the monitor has been started, but the overview still shows
"stopped" and there is no version number any more.

Then I stopped and started Ceph on the node (`pveceph stop; pveceph
start`) which resulted in a degraded cluster (1 host down, 7 of 21 OSDs
down). OSDs cannot be started through the UI either.

I feel extremely uncomfortable with this situation and would appreciate
any hint as to how I should proceed with the problem.

Cheers, Frank