[PVE-User] planning CEPH HW

nada nada at verdnatura.es
Sun Feb 28 12:07:17 CET 2021

hi, we are beginners in CEPH
and we have 3 old servers in PROXMOX cluster and just CTs are there
my college wants to migrate some VMs from VMWARE cluster to PROXMOX
but these VMs are really 'hungry' they need a lot of space for data...
we don't want to invest more money in old SAN HP and we want to deploy
CEPH

so our idea is to buy
   2x robust servers for CEPH with HDD
   3x light servers for Ceph monitors with SSD

and deploy CEPH
   1st period approx 50-100 TB
   2nd period 300 TB

we already have prepared
   FC 10Gbps backbone
   Eth 1Gbps backbone

we have studied examples of some configurations
(Dell, 45Drives,...)
we prefer to build up CEPH cluster separated from PROXMOX cluster
and link them together to have scalable open source system and avoid
vendor-locking
BUT we do NOT have experience with CEPH
so please,
can somebody send us example of HW configuration suitable for our idea
???

Nada