Live Migration Question

jameslipski jameslipski at protonmail.com
Thu Feb 11 01:12:01 CET 2021

Greetings,

I have a couple of questions relating to live migrations, and was unable to find any answers to this.

Just to preface, I have a relatively small cluster consisting of 6 nodes, somewhat homogeneous -- some nodes run Xeon E5-2660 v3 and others run Xeon E5-2690 v4 (both are Sandybridge based, clocked the same speeds, only difference is core count).

Occasionally I migrate machines between nodes, and it usually does work, even between systems that are based on the CPUs mentioned above. However sometimes I run into an issue where the VM would migrate to the destination node, and dashboard reports "Internal-Error"; and from the console it looks like it's suspended. The only way I can kick it out of this state is to kill the process and start it again (or let HA start it again).

So the question that I have are:

1 - Under what condition during a migration would place the VM in this "Internal-Error", suspended state and not resume?
2 - If the VM is in a "Internal-Error", suspended state, can it be resumed manually, instead of restarting/powering off.

I don't really see anything in syslog events (unless they're stored somewhere else), source node shows that it is migrating, and destination node only shows that it's attempting to start it.

If you need any additional information, let me know what you need and I'll post them.

Thank you in advanced.