[PVE-User] Migrating from oVirt to Proxmox

Ronny Aasen ronny+pve-user at aasen.cx
Mon Feb 8 13:22:34 CET 2021

On 08.02.2021 12:59, Marc Sauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we would like to migrate our oVirt Cluster to Proxmox, because of the
> recent events regarding RedHat and CentOS. Also, we are getting new
> servers and have the one time oppurtinity to do a switch to another
> virtualization platform.
>
> Right now, We are using GlusterFS underneath the oVirt Cluster and would
> like to use it on Proxmox as well.
>
> It will be a 3 node cluster.
>
> My question to you all is: Has anyone on this list done a migration
> process from oVirt to Proxmox? Both systems are based on KVM, so a
> migration should not be that complicated.
>
> My main idea is the following:
>
> - Set up a Proxmox cluster with 3 nodes
> - Set up the Gluster storage on the new servers
> - Create VMs with the same name and copy the raw disk image from the old
> Gluster to the new one
> - Set the copied Raw disk image as bootfile for the created VM
> - Repeat the step for all VMs, one at a time
>
> Since we do not have thousands of VMs we can do this manually, so no
> need to set up a complicated migration pipeline. The main advantage of
> this is, that we can migrate a VM one at a time and not all at once.
>
> What are your thoughts on this? Will we get trouble with, for example,
> the drivers inside the VM?
>
> Thank you in advance and many greetings from Cologne,
>
> Marc Sauer

Not exactly i have dome  something similar with vmware to proxmox.
And the plan was the same   + i had a convert image step that you do not
need.

drivers can be an issue if the OS on the VM is windows. read the xml
config on ovirt and replicate accordingly on proxmox to avoid any
issues. this is probably only an issue on the first VM, i assume the
rest would be identical, once you get the right config.

I also did one rsync of image while vm was running + another rsync while
vm was stopped to have shorter downtime. depends on your network speed
vs storage speed if this is sane or not.

good luck
Ronny