[PVE-User] Migrating from oVirt to Proxmox

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Mon Feb 8 13:17:15 CET 2021

On 2021-02-08 5:59 a.m., Marc Sauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we would like to migrate our oVirt Cluster to Proxmox, because of the
> recent events regarding RedHat and CentOS. Also, we are getting new
> servers and have the one time oppurtinity to do a switch to another
> virtualization platform.
>
> Right now, We are using GlusterFS underneath the oVirt Cluster and
> would like to use it on Proxmox as well.
>
> It will be a 3 node cluster.
>
> My question to you all is: Has anyone on this list done a migration
> process from oVirt to Proxmox? Both systems are based on KVM, so a
> migration should not be that complicated.
>
> My main idea is the following:
>
> - Set up a Proxmox cluster with 3 nodes
> - Set up the Gluster storage on the new servers
> - Create VMs with the same name and copy the raw disk image from the
> old Gluster to the new one
> - Set the copied Raw disk image as bootfile for the created VM
> - Repeat the step for all VMs, one at a time
>
> Since we do not have thousands of VMs we can do this manually, so no
> need to set up a complicated migration pipeline. The main advantage of
> this is, that we can migrate a VM one at a time and not all at once.
>
> What are your thoughts on this? Will we get trouble with, for example,
> the drivers inside the VM?
>
> Thank you in advance and many greetings from Cologne,
>
> Marc Sauer

That is the exact process I used when moving from Proxmox to straight
KVM and virt-manager. It's a safe way to move. If a single VM has
issues, you can fall back to the original and figure out what went wrong
without long downtimes. I moved thirty VM's using this process.

I did have issues with Windows machines, and had to manually copy the
machine's GUID to the new virtual machine in order to keep Windows
activated.

Gerald