[PVE-User] (no subject)

Alain Péan alain.pean at c2n.upsaclay.fr
Tue Aug 24 17:36:04 CEST 2021

Le 24/08/2021 à 17:13, Leandro Roggerone a écrit :
> Hello , Martin.
> Im still in pve 6.04.
> I was looking at the document you pointed out (Upgrade from 6.x to 7.0)
> It is frustrating to see that upgrading  is a very difficult process.
> My cluster contains 2 servers.
> Both are in production , at 50 - 60 % storage and memory capacity so it is
> not easy for me to create backups and move VMs.
>
> I will study how to proceed with this update from pve 6  to 7.
> Perhaps:
> Adding a third new box already running version 7.
> Adding a networking storage ? need to check out wich one.
>
> Meanwhile , until I can go to pve 7 , I think I should upgrate to latest
> pve 6 and disable automatic upgrades ...
> Do you think it is ok ?

Hello Leandro,

If you are under Proxmox 6.4, you cannot move "accidentaly", by software
upgrades, to 7.0. Because 6.x is based on Debian 10, and 7.x on Debian
11, so you have to change the repository to point to the newer release.

What I do personnaly is to test the upgrade on a test cluster, to see
how it works. I have an old server on which I setup a nested proxmox ve
cluster with three small VMs. I test the upgrade process on this nested
cluster, before applying it to production cluster.

For your produxtion cluster, you should have backups of your VMs (for
example on an NFS storage). It would be indeed a good thing to have à
third host to have a minimum cluster with quorum.

Good luck !

Alain

--
Administrateur Système/Réseau
C2N Centre de Nanosciences et Nanotechnologies (UMR 9001)