[PVE-User] zfs root after last update grub unknown filesystem

Gianni Milo gianni.milo22 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 00:16:13 CEST 2020

GRUB does not support all zfs features, so it's quite common for it to fail
to recognise the rpool during boot if it has a feature which is
incompatible with it. In your case, I believe that is the "encyption"
feature.
Do you recall the issue starting after enabling encryption on rpool/data
dataset? If so, you may have to rebuild the pool and leave rpool/data
unencrypted.
 Note that even though you enabled encryption only on rpool/data, the
feature will take effect at the pool level, hence the GRUB issue you
are facing.
Because of this issue, people have started using a separate boot pool
(bpool), with limited zfs features enabled and a different data pool
(rpool) for the OS and the data. I believe that the PVE installer should be
modified to follow this approach (if it hasn't done it already) to overcome
similar issues.

Gianni