[PVE-User] Problem with Centos 5.X virtio ethernet drivers and last PVE updates

Tue Jul 21 10:41:54 CEST 2020

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 08:32:55 +0200 (CEST)
Fabrizio Cuseo <f.cuseo at panservice.it> wrote:

> Good morning.
> I have just upgraded a 6.2 cluster from 6.2.2 to 6.2.10; suddently,
> all my Centos 5.X guests, with virtio ethernet drivers, stop working.
> Changing ethernet from virtio to e1000 fix the problem.
>
> Someone else have this problem ? Something to fix and come back to
> virtio drivers ? (I can't upgrade those guests to newer centos).

I noticed the same thing on pm-5.4 when upgrading from 4.15.18-27-pve
to 4.15.18-30-pve. Suddenly on (old) Debian Lenny guests the virtio
drivers got very unstable. I changed them to rtl8139 and it seems to be
much stabler, but not resolved. I created a cronjob that stops the
network, unloads the kernel modules, reloads them and restarts the
network. There is definitly something wrong somewhere.

R.

--
richard lucassen
http://contact.xaq.nl/