[PVE-User] Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Fri Jul 10 15:50:55 CEST 2020

Hi Eneko,

On 10.07.20 13:56, Eneko Lacunza wrote:
> El 10/7/20 a las 13:45, Dietmar Maurer escribió:
>>> Given we usually perform PVE backups to a NFS server (in a PVE cluster
>>> node or standalone NAS), do you think it would make sense to setup PBS
>>> in a VM, with storage on a NFS server?
>> I guess you can do that, but you may not get maximal performance this way.
>>
>> Especially if you put the data on NFS, you can end up sending
>> everything twice over the network ...
>>
> That's a good point to consider, although reusing existing infrastructure and/or not needing a fourth server could outweight it for small clusters, specially considering the bandwith savings due to incremental VM backups versus current PVE full backups.

Note that it also supports remote sync, and that backups can be
encrypted by the client, this opens a few possibilities.

One could be having local "hyper-converged" backup servers in each small
cluster, and one central (or depending on safety concerns, two) big server to
have a off-site copy of all the data in the case a cluster one fails. As data
can be encrypted by the client the backup server doesn't have to be fully
trusted. And as remote sync schedules are done efficiently (only the delta) one
could have a remote over the WAN.

This won't be the primary recommended setup, as a big (enough) local server as
primary backup is always faster and better than a hyper-converged one, but
should work for situations where one is limited by local available HW.

cheers,
Thomas