[PVE-User] Support for Ceph Nautilus?

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Fri May 17 09:53:44 CEST 2019

Hello,

On Fri, 17 May 2019 08:05:21 +0200 Thomas Lamprecht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/17/19 4:27 AM, Christian Balzer wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > is there anything that's stopping the current PVE to work with an
> > externally configured Ceph Nautilus cluster?
>

> Short: rather not, you need to try out to be sure though.

Whenever Ceph Nautilus packages drop for either Stretch or Buster, I'm
quite aware of the issues you mention below.

> You probably cannot use the kernel RBD as it's support may be to old
> for Nautilus images.
>
> The userspace libraries we use else would need to be updated to Nautilus
> to ensure working fine with everything changed in Nautilus.
>
> So why don't we, the Proxmox development community, don't just update to
> Nautilus?
>
> That ceph version started to employ programming language features available
> in only relative recent compiler versions, sadly the one which _every_ binary
> in Stretch is build with (gcc 6.3) does not supports those features - we
> thought about workarounds, but felt very uneasy of all of them - the compiler
> and it's used libc is such a fundamental base of a Linux Distro that we cannot
> change that for a single application without hurting stability and bringing up
> lots of problems in any way.
>
> So Nautilus will come first with Proxmox VE 6.0 based upon Debian Buster,
> compiled with gcc 8, which supports all those new shiny used features.

Any timeline (he asks innocently, knowing the usual Debian release delays)?

> > No matter how many bugfixes and backports have been done for Luminous, it
> > still feels like a very weak first attempt with regards to making
> > Bluestore the default storage and I'd rather not deploy anything based on
> > it.
>
> We use Bluestore in our own Infrastructure without issues, and lot's of PVE user
> do also - if that make you feelings shift a bit to the better.

The use case I have is one where Bluestore on the same HW would perform
noticeably worse than filestore and with cache tiers being in limbo
(neither recommended nor replaced with something else)

At this point in time I would like to deploy Nautilus and then forget
about it, that installation will not be upgraded ever and retired before
the usual 5 years are up.

chibi at gol.com   	Rakuten Communications