[PVE-User] Support for Ceph Nautilus?

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Fri May 17 08:05:21 CEST 2019

Hi,

On 5/17/19 4:27 AM, Christian Balzer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there anything that's stopping the current PVE to work with an
> externally configured Ceph Nautilus cluster?

Short: rather not, you need to try out to be sure though.

You probably cannot use the kernel RBD as it's support may be to old
for Nautilus images.

The userspace libraries we use else would need to be updated to Nautilus
to ensure working fine with everything changed in Nautilus.

So why don't we, the Proxmox development community, don't just update to
Nautilus?

That ceph version started to employ programming language features available
in only relative recent compiler versions, sadly the one which _every_ binary
in Stretch is build with (gcc 6.3) does not supports those features - we
thought about workarounds, but felt very uneasy of all of them - the compiler
and it's used libc is such a fundamental base of a Linux Distro that we cannot
change that for a single application without hurting stability and bringing up
lots of problems in any way.

So Nautilus will come first with Proxmox VE 6.0 based upon Debian Buster,
compiled with gcc 8, which supports all those new shiny used features.

> No matter how many bugfixes and backports have been done for Luminous, it
> still feels like a very weak first attempt with regards to making
> Bluestore the default storage and I'd rather not deploy anything based on
> it.

We use Bluestore in our own Infrastructure without issues, and lot's of PVE user
do also - if that make you feelings shift a bit to the better.

cheers,
Thomas