[PVE-User] Help on setting up cloud server!

Ronny Aasen ronny+pve-user at aasen.cx
Mon Jul 22 10:00:21 CEST 2019

On 22.07.2019 09:06, System Admin via pve-user wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to Proxmox & Ceph. I would like to seek your help on setting up
> cloud server.
>
> I've three PVE (version 5.5-3) nodes configured with Ceph storage on
> hardware RAID 0 (MegaRAID SAS). I couldn't find a way to flash to IT HBA
> mode.
>
> Now, I would like to install CentOS 7 VM on *ceph-vm* pools and then,
> will configure NextCloud web application on other disk partition using
> different storage pool. Now this is where I need help.
>
> Which storage type RBD or CephFS is best for the cloud and how would I
> load them on VM. Your help will be appreciated.
>

> Thank you.
>
> Sonam

generally on a VM you want your OS/boot disk to be RBD image. since RBD
is made for this purpose.

nextcloud is a bit special tho. since if you want to scale your
nextcloud across multiple servers, for High availabillity or performance
reasons, you will need a shared storage for the nextcloud servers in
addition to the OS disk for each VM.
And for this you can use cephfs and mount it as a regular client from
the VM as the nextcloud storage area on each nextcloud VM.

I am a bit perplexed by what you mean by "other disk partition" since in
ceph you do not split storage pools by partitions. give ceph the whole
disk as osd.
you can place different pools on different classes of disk, eg if you
have fast or slow disks. but multiple pools live on the same disks.

good luck
Ronny