[PVE-User] ceph-osd not starting after network related issues

Ian Coetzee proxmox at iancoetzee.za.net
Wed Jul 3 08:35:01 CEST 2019

Hi All,

Some feedback on my end. I managed to recover the "lost data" from one of
the other OSDs. Seems like my initial summary was a bit off, in that the
PG's was replicated, CEPH just wanted to confirm that the objects were
still relevant.

For future reference, I basically marked the OSD as lost

> ceph osd lost <id>

Then the PGs went into an incomplete state

After that I temporarily set an option on the OSDs to ignore the history
(osd_find_best_info_ignore_history_les). Got the info from
http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2017-March/017270.html

After that CEPH was happy and started to rebalance the cluster, pheew,
crisis averted.

This failure did however convince me to increase our cluster size from 2:1
to 3:2. Sacrificing usable space for reliability.

Now I need to give feedback on what happened, this is what I am still not
sure about as SMART does not show any sector errors. I might as well start
a badblocks and see if I detect anything in there.

As always, I am open to other suggestion as to where to look for other
clues on what went wrong.

Kind regards