[PVE-User] Are two bridges to the same network possible?

Chris Hofstaedtler | Deduktiva chris.hofstaedtler at deduktiva.com
Tue Dec 17 22:35:56 CET 2019

* Frank Thommen <f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de> [191217 22:10]:
> I probably don't understand the question correctly: One has the IP traffic
> to the server/hypervisor, the other has IP traffic for the attached VMs and
> containers.  Is there no need for a gateway if the bridge only provisions
> VMs and containers with network connectivity? Should I think of the bridge
> as a dumb connector on the link level (I should probably and urgently reread
> my networking materials :-)

You can think of it as a dumb switch. As a special feature, Linux
allows you to also setup host network connectivity on a bridge - but
it doesn't have to do that.

I would guess that on the bridge you want to use for your VMs, you
don't need an IP adress (and also no gateway then).

Generally speaking, having more than one default gateway per host is
an advanced configuration and you really need to know what you're
doing then. Having multiple interfaces with IP addresses is a common
thing, but you'llneed to understand how your routing setup works.

Chris
--
Chris Hofstaedtler / Deduktiva GmbH (FN 418592 b, HG Wien)
www.deduktiva.com / +43 1 353 1707