[PVE-User] Are two bridges to the same network possible?

Frank Thommen f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Dec 17 22:10:24 CET 2019

On 17.12.19 21:42, Chris Hofstaedtler | Deduktiva wrote:
> * Frank Thommen <f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de> [191217 20:29]:
>> (how) can I connect two virtual bridges to the same network (using the same
>> gateway)?
>>
>> Our currently-being-built-up PVE server has four Linux network bonds
>> connecting to two three networks. One is being used for the PVE server
>> itself (administration, web ui ecc), the other three for virtual machines
>> which will reside in three different networks.  One of these three networks
>> is the same as the one where the PVE server is residing, but I'd still like
>> to use separate NICs for the VMs.
>>
>> The server itself is attached to the default vmbr0 (using bond0).  But as
>> soon as I want to configure a second bridge vmbr1 (using bond1) to the same
>> network, PROXMOX complains that the default gateway already exists.
>>
>> Is it technically possible/supported to have multiple bridges to the same
>> network (with the same gateways)?
>
> Do you actually need IP traffic on the host on the second interface?
> If not, then don't configure IP addresses, gateways, etc...
>
> Chris

I probably don't understand the question correctly: One has the IP
traffic to the server/hypervisor, the other has IP traffic for the
attached VMs and containers.  Is there no need for a gateway if the
bridge only provisions VMs and containers with network connectivity?
Should I think of the bridge as a dumb connector on the link level (I
should probably and urgently reread my networking materials :-)

Cheers, frank