[PVE-User] Discard transmission between VM / LVM / mdadm layers ?

Olivier Benghozi olivier.benghozi at wifirst.fr
Fri Dec 13 19:22:05 CET 2019

In fact if you use the debian installer you have to take care of the creation of the data lvs (and in fact, of the general partitioning scheme) yourself (and not accept what the debian installer does by default). The lvs-thin data volume must be created manually after install (and therefore most of the space must be left free at the install – and you'd better create it with 16GB metadata space to avoid horror stories later).

By example this is what we can find here (installed using debian buster installer):

# lsblk (edited)
NAME                         MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda                            8:0    0   1.8T  0 disk
├─sda1                         8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2                         8:2    0   488M  0 part /boot
└─sda3                         8:3    0   1.8T  0 part
  ├─pve-root                 253:0    0 186.3G  0 lvm  /
  ├─pve-swap                 253:1    0   7.5G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
  ├─pve-data_tmeta           253:2    0  15.8G  0 lvm
  │ └─pve-data-tpool         253:4    0   1.5T  0 lvm
  └─pve-data_tdata           253:3    0   1.5T  0 lvm
    └─pve-data-tpool         253:4    0   1.5T  0 lvm

# lvs -a
  LV              VG  Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data            pve twi-aotz--  <1.53t             0.35   0.16
  [data_tdata]    pve Twi-ao----  <1.53t
  [data_tmeta]    pve ewi-ao----  16.00g
  [lvol0_pmspare] pve ewi-------  16.00g
  root            pve -wi-ao---- 186.26g