[PVE-User] Move VM's HDD incl. snapshots from one Ceph to another

Mark Adams mark at openvs.co.uk
Mon Aug 19 16:49:35 CEST 2019

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 11:59, Uwe Sauter <uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> @Eneko
>
> Both clusters are hyper-converged PVE clusters each running its own Ceph
> cluster. On the older PVE 5 cluster I created a new RBD
> storage configuration for the PVE6 Ceph. So I can access the new Ceph from
> the old Cluster.
>
> I also migrated some VMs via the GUI from one Ceph to the other but those
> VMs didn't have snapshots.
>
> My question is: how can I move a RBD image with snapshots from one cluster
> to the other while keeping the history (snapshots)?
>

> @Mark:
>
> Do you think that this would work?
>
> rbd --cluster ceph --pool vdisks export --export-format 2 vm-101-disk-0 -
> | \
> rbd --cluster cluster2 --pool vdisks import --export-format 2 -
> vm-101-disk-0

Hi Uwe, I don't remember the exact command without checking the ceph docs -
but I believe it was something straight forward like rbd export
ceph/vm-101-disk-0  | ssh user at server  'rbd import - cluster2/vm-101-disk-0'

I -think- that sends all the snapshots as well, though again I can't
remember exactly (it's been a while since I did this...) - you can use rbd
export-diff and import-diff to send just the changes between snapshots
though in case it doesn't and you want to build it up from the earliest
snapshot.

Sorry that's not more exact!

Regards,
Mark