[PVE-User] API users

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Wed Apr 24 12:34:42 CEST 2019

Am 4/24/19 um 12:19 PM schrieb Mark Schouten:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, that doesn't answer my question. I want users that have 2FA to be able to use the GUI, and I want to be able to disallow the GUI for certain users. I know that the GUI just uses the API as a backend.

That's not possible, what's your use case for this? If one has API access he can do everything you can do through WebUI anyway?

And even _if_ we would add some sort of "WebUI" lockout, the API user could just setup pve-manager's WebUI part to point at the API backend endpoint and use that one.
Or the user could just create a own gui? So I think this is not really dooable and does not fits at all with REST APIs... You just can't control the frontend there...

If you want to make internal API users more secure you can choose a random, very big (e.g. 64 chars) password for them and be done, nobody will guess that and the user name in a realistic time with the 3 seconds block on wrong login?

What could _maybe_ make sense is to allow to restrict logins from certain (sub)networks only, so that internal users are not exposed to less trusted networks...