[PVE-User] networking adjustment | hope to get some feedback

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Jun 22 02:54:48 CEST 2018

>>For example: with the dual 10G LACP connection to each server, we can
>>only use mtu size 1500. Are we loosing much there..? Or would there be a
>>way around this, somehow?

you can setup mtu 9000 on your bridge and bond.
if your vms have mtu 1500 (inside the vm), the packet will use 1500 mtu

>>I tried also assigning the ceph cluster ip 10.10.89.10/11/12 to the
>>bond0, instead of assigning it to vmbr0 as an alias. But in that setup I
>>could never ping the other machine, so that somehow doesn't work. :-(

you can setup ip on interface which is plugged in a bridge.

but you can use vlan interface on the bond for example

- management proxmox without vlan && ceph on dedicated vlan
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth1 eth2
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode 802.3ad
bond_xmit_hash_policy layer3+4

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address a.b.c.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway a.b.c.1
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

#dedicated ceph vlan
auto bond0.100
iface bond0.100 inet static
address ...
netmask ....

or with dedicated vlan for proxmox management && ceph

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth1 eth2
bond_miimon 100