[PVE-User] networking adjustment | hope to get some feedback

mj lists at merit.unu.edu
Thu Jun 21 14:31:28 CEST 2018

Hi,

So, I setup a test rig, with (only) two proxmox test-servers, with two
NICs per server to test.

This /etc/network/interfaces seems to work well:

> iface eth1 inet manual
>
> iface eth2 inet manual
>
> auto bond0
> iface bond0 inet manual
> 	slaves eth1 eth2
> 	bond_miimon 100
> 	bond_mode 802.3ad
>       bond_xmit_hash_policy layer3+4
>
> auto vmbr0
> iface vmbr0 inet static
> 	address  a.b.c.10
> 	netmask  255.255.255.0
> 	gateway  a.b.c.1
> 	bridge_ports bond0
> 	bridge_stp off
> 	bridge_fd 0
> 	up ip addr add 10.10.89.10/24 dev vmbr0 || true
> 	down ip addr del 10.10.89.10/24 dev vmbr0 || true

On the (procurve 5400) chassis, I configured the LACP like this:
> trunk D1-D2 Trk1 LACP
and
> trunk D3-D4 Trk2 LACP
resulting in this:
>  Procurve chassis(config)# show trunk
>
> Load Balancing Method:  L3-based (default)
>
>  Port | Name                             Type      | Group  Type
>  ---- + -------------------------------- --------- + ------ --------
>  D1   | Link to pve001 - 1               10GbE-T   | Trk1   LACP
>  D2   | Link to pve001 - 2               10GbE-T   | Trk1   LACP
>  D3   | Link to pve002 - 1               10GbE-T   | Trk2   LACP
>  D4   | Link to pve002 - 2               10GbE-T   | Trk2   LACP

The above config allows me to assign VLANs to lacp trunks ("Trk1",
"Trk2") in the chassis webinterface like you would do with ports.

Then I did some reading on load balancing between the trunked ports, and
figured that load balancing based on L4 would perhaps work better for
us, so I changed it with
> trunk-load-balance L4

Since we are running the public and cluster network over the same wires,
I don't think we can enable jumbo frames. Or would there be a way to
make ceph traffic use a specific vlan, so we can enable jumbo frames on
that vlan?

I realise that this is perhaps all very specific to our environment, but
again: if there is anyone here with insights, tips, trics, please,
feedback is welcome.

For example: with the dual 10G LACP connection to each server, we can
only use mtu size 1500. Are we loosing much there..? Or would there be a
way around this, somehow?

I tried also assigning the ceph cluster ip 10.10.89.10/11/12 to the
bond0, instead of assigning it to vmbr0 as an alias. But in that setup I
could never ping the other machine, so that somehow doesn't work. :-(

(thinking that with the ceph ip on the bond0, my VMs would not be able
to see that traffic..?)

Again: all feedback welcome.

MJ