[PVE-User] Pass through usb eToken device on PX 5.2

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 14:47:20 CEST 2018

>>Have plugged the token into the VM Host and used Add hardware to pass through the USB
>>token to the VM

I'm using something similar (usb smart card reader/pki card for user
authentication), but in my case I decided that perhaps it's better to
connect the USB token to the client machine rather than the VM host.
In this way you can enable smart card redirection on the RDP client
machine, which then can pass through the PKI card to the VM guest
without the need to redirect the actual usb PKI device.
In addition, you can use SPICE remote-viewer and its built in USB
device redirection option, to pass through the usb token to the VM
guest.The difference in this case is that you cannot share that usb
device both with client (host) machine and the VM guest at the same
time. Hence, the RDP option works better for me in this case.

It would be nice if smart card pass through was supported in
remote-viewer/SPICE server as well..