[PVE-User] Bluestore : Where is my WAL device ?

Ronny Aasen ronny+pve-user at aasen.cx
Tue Jun 5 17:15:29 CEST 2018

on bluestore there is no journal. so i am very unsure about what
--journal_dev  does in that context. probably nothing...

WAL is normally a part of the DB. and unless you have 3 tiers of speeds
of drives there is no need to split the WAL away from the DB

since you specified the wal_dev and not the db_dev i think ceph was
clever enough to understand that you actually wanted to put the db on
sde1 and as you obsere with your symlinks, you can see it placed DB (and
db's wal) on sde1

if you had osd spinner on sda, ssd DB on sde1  a even faster WAL nvme
you could split wal from db by specifying --db_dev /dev/sde1 --wal_dev
/dev/nvme1p1

but since you want wal and db on the same speed device (sde) there is no
reason to split wal from db and just do
pveceph createosd /dev/sda --db_dev /dev/sde1

kind regards
Ronny Aasen