[PVE-User] PVE Cluster and /etc/hosts.conf

Gilberto Nunes gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 13:07:20 CEST 2017

That's great.
But my doubt still remain.
/etc/hosts.conf has some effect over cluster and migration??
I meant, if I have two nic, in two servers, one nic to administrative
access and the second, working as a private network between the two nodes.
So, the first node has, for instance, the name pve01, which has the IP
10.1.1.10.
The second node has the name pve02 and IP 10.1.1.20.
Both nodes can see each other with their names and resolv to IP CIDR
10.1.1.0/24.

After I create the cluster using the pvecm create NAME, I go through second
node and do this:

pvecm add pve01

I see the pvecm connect to pve01, using the internal IP, which is
10.1.1.10, as instate it before.

So for now on, the cluster and migration traffic would ran between two
nodes using CIDR 10.1.1.0/24.

That's is correct??
Thanks

> On 09/18/2017 11:12 PM, lemonnierk at ulrar.net wrote:
>
>> Unfortunatly proxmox doesn't really use that for everything, it uses the
>> machines hostnames and you can't do anything about it.
>>
>> If you do something like pvecm add pve01 -ring0addr 10.1.1.XX you can
>> force corosync to use your local network, but if your hostnames resolve
>> to public IPs, VM migration and stuff like that will use that anyway.
>>

> There's /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg with its migration property, you can set an
> IP for the external migration network (gets used for storage replication
> too
> then).
>
> It would be great to have an option to make proxmox use something else
>> than the hostname, but as far as I know there is no real way around it
>> for now.
>>

> man datacenter.cfg
>
> cheers,
> Thomas
>

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 05:34:47PM -0300, Gilberto Nunes wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys...
>>>
>>> I always do, as good practices, adjust the /etc/hosts.conf, in order to
>>> resolve the internal IP to the machine name, when creating a cluster.
>>> So, I puted this in /etc/hosts.conf in each node:
>>>
>>> 127.0.0.1   localhost
>>> 10.1.1.10 pve01 pvelocalhost
>>> 10.1.1.20 pve02