[PVE-User] Trooble with ceph on the last version of proxmox

Jean-mathieu CHANTREIN jean-mathieu.chantrein at univ-angers.fr
Mon Sep 11 17:57:30 CEST 2017

It's effectively better with the good subnet... Additionnaly, I see my ceph pool create with the CLI does not work. When I try to create a VM:
"Ensure that the default pool has been created or specify an alternate pool name."

So I'll try rbd list:
"rbd: error opening default pool 'rbd'
Ensure that the default pool has been created or specify an alternate pool name."

In documentation: http://ceph.com/releases/v12-1-1-luminous-rc-released/ :
"The default ‘rbd’ pool is no longer created automatically during cluster creation. Additionally, the name of the default pool used by the rbd CLI when no pool is specified can be overridden via a new rbd default pool = <pool name> configuration option."

I was think PVE try to connect to the default rbd pool (like old pve version ?)

So I create one with GUI (ceph-test) to see any difference between configuration file. ceph-test working fine. Here is a part of output of /etc/pve/storage.cfg:

rbd: ceph-vm
monhost IP_MON[1-4]
content images
username admin

rbd: ceph-test
monhost IP_MON[1-4]
content images
krbd 0
pool ceph-test
username admin

We can see a line "pool ceph-test" append by GUI PVE Add storage. So I have to add -pool options on CLI:

pvesm add rbd ceph-vm -content images -monhost "IP_PROXMOX_NODE[1-4]" -username
admin -pool ceph-vm
pvesm add rbd ceph-lxc -krbd 1 -content rootdir -monhost "IP_PROXMOX_NODE[1-4]"
-username admin -pool ceph-lxc

And everything looks good :-)

Thanks.

Jean-Mathieu