[PVE-User] Expected fencing behavior on a bifurcated 4-node HA cluster

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Thu May 4 16:25:10 CEST 2017

On 05/04/2017 04:10 PM, Adam Carheden wrote:
> On 05/04/2017 12:39 AM, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
>> As Dietmar hinted: you can configure how many votes a node provides
>> (must be >= 1).
> Not true:

Saw that actually myself just after writing because we then discussed it
here :-)

> # pvecm status
> Membership information
> ----------------------
>      Nodeid      Votes Name
> 0x00000004          0 192.168.0.11 (local)
> 0x00000003          1 192.168.0.203
> 0x00000001          1 192.168.0.204
> 0x00000002          1 192.168.0.206
>
> ...but I assume that you meant "not advisable" rather than "not
> possible". Does anyone know the consequences of giving a node 0 votes?

Not really tested would rather hit the nail.
You can do this, it should work just fine, with the natural consequence
that this node has no influence on quorum.
It can receive cluster traffic without problems, but there may be some
implications which do not come to my mind at the moment.