[PVE-User] Query disk usage

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 18:04:46 CET 2017

On 06/03/17 15:29, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:
> On 03/06/2017 10:22 AM, John Crisp wrote:
>> I am a bit puzzled as to how to do a simple disk usage query on Proxmox
>> 4 with LVM thin.
>
> I suppose you would like to know how much data are using your VMs using
> thin logical volumes.

Thanks for the response but no, I wanted to know total disk usage at the
point in time.

e.g. on a non LVM thin machine I can get

df -h

Filesystem                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/pve-data         799G  411G  389G  52% /var/lib/vz
/dev/mapper/pve1-pve--data1  917G  820G   89G  91% /var/lib/vz1

Nice and simple. 52% used on one partition/volume and 91% on another

But df -h with LVM thin seems unaware of some of the available disk space.

I was trying to add this machine to my monitoring system so I get a
regular idea of disk usage overall.

Using 'lvs' seems to report correctly. I just need to figure out how to
grep out the figures in a plugin !