[PVE-User] Lost cluster. Resolved.

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Mon Mar 6 16:23:03 CET 2017

Hi,

Last night, a friend I hadn't heard from in a year called me. His 4
server Proxmox 4.2 system was done, and wasn't coming back up. Each node
could only see itself as up, and some of the nodes didn't show every
machine in the cluster. Bizarre.

The end result was, none of the machines in the cluster had the other
nodes in the hosts file. I added them, and it all came up nice.

How was the system able to run before?

My guess is their DNS server provided the names, and when the cluster
didn't have quorum, and couldn't bring up the DNS server VM, it all fell
apart. However, that doesn't make sense either, since the DNS server
needed to be running before the cluster and quorum worked, and without
quorum, there was no DNS server.

Gerald