[PVE-User] btrfs in a guest

lists lists at merit.unu.edu
Mon Jul 17 13:20:34 CEST 2017

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for your reply.

On 17-7-2017 1:04, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> The Samba server is a Qemu VM?
yes.

> The backing filesystem (Ceph) should be irrelevant to whatever
> filesystem you use in the VM.
Yes, I realise that. I know it's possible, and btrfs and xfs also seem
to perform (after some brief testing) similarly. But there is a lot of
discussion about "CoW penalty".

And that's why I'm asking.

For what it's worth: Our ceph has xfs OSDs.

So, should I worry about this CoW penalty or not really?

> Personally I'd go with zfs over btrf.
Interesting. I see that also with zfs, you can expose previous versions
via samba.

You prefer zfs, because..? (The "more mature" argument, or other reasons
as well..? perhaps specific to running on Qemu VM on ceph storage?)

MJ