[PVE-User] VMA endianness bug?

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Fri Nov 25 12:03:14 CET 2016

> On November 25, 2016 at 11:27 AM Gwenn Gueguen <gwenn+proxmox at beurre.demisel.net> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> I had an issue while reading a VMA file written by a proxmox backup
> on an up-to-date Proxmox 4.3 node.
>
> According to vma_spec.txt[1], "All numbers in VMA archive are stored in
> Big Endian byte order." but it looks like the 2 byte size field at the
> beginning of each blob are stored in little endian byte order.

Unfortunately this is correct. Also note that the first byte of the
blob buffer is unused (iow. the first length starts at an offset of
1). (If you just access it via the offset pointers from the
device/config fields you won't run into this, but if you try to just
index the size+data pairs you will ;-) ).

May I ask what you're working on?