[PVE-User] PVE 4.2 and HA/Thin provision

Alwin Antreich sysadmin-pve at cognitec.com
Fri May 27 17:31:08 CEST 2016

LVM on it's own has nothing to do with HA. You are right, you can put LVM on top of DRBD, but this doesn't make it
easier to create and maintain a cluster. You just use a different storage technique for your VMs.

But as you sure may know, do not create a two node cluster, as you need three nodes to have a quorum. I suggest you add
a third machine that is just providing the quorum without the need for hosting VMs or having a storage at all. This
would make your live easier as the cluster now knows which node to shoot. With a two node setup you could end up with
both nodes constantly shooting each other (STONITH) and never fulfill HA for your VMs.

Storage Model LVM:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model#LVM_Groups_-_An_Ideal_Solution

Cheers,
Alwin