[PVE-User] Bare metal to proxmox on the same box

John Sullivan lists at benzo8.org
Mon May 16 10:36:33 CEST 2016

I've currently got a server running Ubuntu 14.04 with a single boot/system
SSD and a 15 drive fully-committed zfs pool. I'd like to virtualise the
machine without losing anything at all. Could a more experienced (with
proxmox) eye look over the following plan and tell me where it's all going
to go wrong?

I know that proxmox can use the zfs pool to storage images, but the thing
I'm still a little hazy on is whether it can also expose the pool (or
filesystems on it) to guests, and moreso, to multiple guests at the same
time.

My plan is to:

* Buy a 2nd SSD, install proxmox on it
* Create a blank VM
* Use rsync to copy everything from my current drive to the VM
* (If it all works, I can then use both SSDs are a mirrored RAID, if not, I
can just put the original SSD in and be back at square one)
* Start splitting services off the original machine to other
VMs/containers. These will all need access to the main zfs data storage
* ...
* profit!

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance...