[PVE-User] Migration VM from VMWare 5 (.vmdk) to Proxmox

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Thu Mar 31 13:43:09 CEST 2016

On 03/31/2016 12:39 PM, Edgardo Ghibaudo wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
> In VMware5, the RHEL4 guest has no VMware guest extension.
> I tried different SCSI controllers (VMware PVSCSI, MegaRAID SAS
> 8708EM2), but the VM always crash (kernel panic) with the same message
>
> Thank you,
> Edgardo

Hi again

As Alessandro said this is probably a mismatch of the root device.

Do you have your old VM running on VmWare ?
If yes please note there the value of the root device in /proc/cmdline
it should be something like  root=/dev/mapper/susa--vg-root

this /dev/ something should be a path to your root file system and
should appear when you do

ls -l /dev/mapper/susa--vg-root
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 31 09:31 /dev/mapper/susa--vg-root -> ../dm-0

Now when running the VM in Proxmox, after the error you see, you should
be dropped to a rescue shell

in this rescue shell, check if the same 'ls -l' command return something

if 'ls' returns nothing,

tries the command vgchange -ay

and try 'ls -l ' again

if ls still fails, please run ls -l /dev/*da in the rescue shell and
post the output here

BTW, it would be nice if you post your findings in the bottom of the
previous mails ( see https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting to know
why )